Thursday, April 10, 2008

Who am I?

My mom sent me to dancing school for years hoping I'd be Shirley Temple...it didn't happen! My Dad sent me to Georgetown University's School of Nursing hoping I'd be a Florence Nightingale and I was until I discovered Edna St Vincent Millay's, Lips I've Kissed... I knew immediatly I wanted to write poetry. So back to school I went to study Creative Writing with Dr.Carl Calendar at Brookdale Community Colledge. I now am a poet whose poems have appeared in Animus, Connecticut Review, Edison Literary Review, Exit 13, Journal of New Jersey Poets, LIPS, Paterson Literary Review, Spindrift, The Poets of New Jersey:From Colonial to Contemporary Times. A book of my own poetry is titled, "Out Of My Mind" which, by the way, includes poems about Shirley Temple and Florence Nightingale! I've been nominated for the Pushcart Award and been a nine time finalist in the Allen Ginsberg Poetry Contest I was a reader at Diane Lockward's Girl Talk and how excited I was when the poets published in The Poets of New Jersey:From Colonial to Contemporary Times read at the Dodge Poetry Festival. I was co-host and coordinator of both the Long Branch and Walt Whitman Poetry Festivals and poetry readings at Red Bank and Middletown Libraries. It's been an exciting journey!